Free for Accompanying Person


Personne en fauteuil et son accompagnateur dans les boisSeveral companies and organizations offer programs or cards allowing the guide to travel or enter for free.




In certain circumstances, VIA Rail offers free travel to one companion accompanying a person with disabilities. To take advantage of this service, the special needs traveller must present, for each trip, a valid card from a recognized association or institution for persons with disabilities (CNIB, Easter Seals, Epilepsy Canada, The War Amps, MAB-MACKAY Rehabilitation Centre), or a recent letter dated within the last 9 months (unless the letter states that the condition is permanent) and signed by a physician.

For more information: 1 888 842-7245 or 1 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired) or consult VIA's Special Needs section.


La Fédération des transporteurs par autobus and its members offer the Carte québécoise à l'accompagnement (Québec bus service attendant card) for intercity bus travel.

The card is for any resident of Québec, aged eight or over, with a permanent disability and requiring assistance for inter-city bus travel. It costs nothing, and allows the companion to travel free across the entire intercity bus network.

To apply, you must fill out the prescribed form and specify, as required, the limitations and “permanent” need for accompaniment on intercity trips. For information : 1 844 476-8181.

For complete information see Quebec companion card on Web site Fédération des transporteurs par autobus.

Public transit

The personal aide pass provides free access to the individual accompanying a person with an intellectual or visual disability when using the regular transit network. Information: Please contact your paratransit organization.

For Montréal, contact the STM at 514 280-8211. For complete information see STM's Personal aid pass section.


Air Canada, Air Canada Jazz, Transat and WestJet have implemented a “one person, one fare” policy, whereby the attendant travels free of charge. This policy applies to flights within Canada. Please note that all applicable taxes remain payable.

The “one person, one fare” policy applies to:

  • People with a disability who require an attendant to meet their personal and safety needs during a flight, or who require an additional seat for themselves, including people recognized as having a functional disability due to their obesity.

The policy does not apply to:

  • People with a disability or people who prefer to travel with an attendant for personal reasons

  • People with a disability who only require a personal attendant at their destination but not in-flight

  • People who are obese, but are not recognized as having a disability as a result of their obesity

Air Canada: Medical Assistance Desk, by phone at 1 800 667-4732 or see Air Canada's Travel with an Attendent section on Internet.

West Jet: West Jet Sales Super Centre, by phone at 1 877 956-6982 (ask for the Medical Desk) or see West Jet's Travelling with a personal attendant section on their website.

Air Transat: For more information, see the Accessibility, Special Needs and Medical Equipment page under the Seat Selection section. A request must be made by you or your travel agent at the following address: It is also possible to contact us by phone through Transat's Contact Center: 1-877-TRANSAT (872-6728) (toll free) or +1-514-636-3630.

For more information, please visit Traveling with a companion on Web site of the Canadian Transportation Agency and contact them to discuss options available to you.

Tourism and culture

Accompanying Leisure Card (CAL)

Logo CAL

The CAL grants free admission to the companion of the person with a disability. It is valid in leisure, cultural and tourist partner organizations. In this context, the companion responds to the needs of the person with a disability that could not be met by the staff on site. The CAL is free and available to residents of Quebec from the age of five.

The CAL now replaces the VATL, a program that has been in effect for more than 20 years.It is now managed by the Association québécoise pour les loisir des personnes handicapées (AQLPH).

To find out all CAL eligibility details and to apply, visit or call 1 833 693-2253. The website is only in French for the moment.


Access 2 Entertainment card (movie theatres)

The Access 2 Entertainment card entitles the support person to admission free of charge or at a significant discount, while the individual with the disability pays regular admission at participating movie theatres across Canada.

A support person is an individual who accompanies a person with a disability to provide services that are not provided by employees at the theatre or attraction, such as assisting the person with eating, administering medication, communication needs and use of the facilities.

The Access 2 Entertainment card costs $20 or 30$ and is valid for three or five years. It can be used in many theatres including Cineplex Odeon, Famous Players, Colossus, Coliseum, and more. The Access 2 Entertainment program is managed by Easter Seals Canada. For more information, call 1 877 376-6362 or visit their website.